Tuesday 2 July 2013

Hurry up Spring – Recovering from the wild weather

I miss lettuce. I’ve spoilt myself for supermarket lettuce, I bought a couple of bags after it got too cold to grow in the garden and didn’t like it, it just smelled weird. The broccoli has been fantastic but I miss lettuce in my sandwiches and summer salads … hurry up Spring!!

Monster broccoli, my pride and joy!

The broccoli is almost finished and there isn’t much else coming up in the garden so I am going to have to resort to supermarket veggies for a while I think. Next winter I plan to have a lot more going on in the greenhouse to get me through but unfortunately the greenhouse is in a bit of a sorry state thanks to windy weather. We also lost a beautiful tree. Husband and I spent Saturday chopping and hacking the tree to pieces and pruning a big dog rose bush that had flopped over in the winds, we now have a lot of scratches and a giant pile of tangled thorny branches to get rid of … sigh. Hurry up Spring!!

So sad, the fallen tree ... frosty mornings ... wind trashed greenhouse

On the chores list for next weekend is greenhouse repairs, earth shovelling and poo distribution to get the garden in tip top shape for spring plantings. Later in July I can plant some peas and spring onions and then in August I can go crazy with lots and lots of lovely things including the first tomato seeds … I miss my prolific tomato babies, I didn’t think I would be saying that after getting sick of the sight of them in their peak over-abundance! Hurry up Spring!!

But most of all, although I am grateful for the generally mild winter we have been having and the gorgeous frosty but sunny weekend, I’m ready for lighter mornings and evenings. We’re almost out of firewood too, despite having a motherload of it at the start of winter. HURRY UP SPRING!!

I'm dreaming of my garden's summer bounty!

No comments: