Monday 14 April 2014

Recipe books from another era


Hello there, I couldn't resist sharing some pictures of these gorgeous old cookbooks, though I'm sure most people have these in the back of their cupboards somewhere or at least in the back of their mum's/grandma's cupboards. Husband's mum sent down some boxes of books for us and these were included so I've had a lovely Sunday evening sitting by the fire and taking a step back in time. 
They are all from the 1950s except one which is from 1933 and they are fascinating to browse through. 
These cookbooks are from the 1930s and 1950s
 
The dark blue book at the back is produced by the women's division of the Federated Farmers of NZ in 1954 and the one in the middle right by the Plunket Society in Wellington in 1933.  I love the Plunket one below in particular as it is well used, with cooking stains and lots of handwritten notes.
 
I love the useful recipe on this page as well
The adverts are wonderful and nearly all addressed to housewives!
Electricity seems to be the new 'in' thing for cooking!

Funny how we take electricity and hot water for granted now, but the adverts in these cookbooks were talking about them as the latest marvel in technology for housewives!

Be progressive and use the modern means - Electricity!

One section that is still very useful and pretty much unchanged from today's cookbooks it the jams, pickles and chutney section.  I've copied out the green tomato jam recipe and the elderberry and plum jam.  Not sure about the Parsnip wine and Liver balls though.

I'm actually looking forward to trying some of these recipes

All the books had a section on cooking for Invalids, this was obviously a bigger deal back then than it is now.  I've tried sweetmeats before and quite liked them but I think the range of offal on this invalid menu would have me leaping off my sickbed just so I didn't have to eat this anymore!  I'm all for using as much of the animal as possible but I just can't get my mind around some of these recipes.  Can you imagine the texture of the invalid sandwiches?

If I was an invalid I'm not sure I would appreciate these meals.  Brains au Gratin anyone?

Invalid Dish in the photo below includes tripe, brains and a few oysters, wouldn't that just have you springing handstands?

I love this advert from W. Gregg & Co too, they still operate in Dunedin as Gregg's
and are a recognisable brand throughout New Zealand

These books really are from another era and they have a fantastic mix of classic favourites still much used today and some recipes that seem completely and disgustingly inedible!! Bacon and egg pie is still such a big hit as a family favourite today but I'm pretty sure the brain and potato pie is no longer on most family lists of luncheon dish options.


I'm not even sure I could buy 6 to 9 sheeps' tongues today even if I wanted to.

I can't imagine a modern cookbook including a section on how to make sandwiches.

Instructions for sandwich making, good advice on the seasoning!

As well as recipes the books have handy household hints sections ...
 
The lost art of how to lay a table, and more importantly which fork to use for which dish!

I think the stain removal guide is genius, I wonder how well some of them work!  Why don't we have instructions like this in cookbooks any more?  Just because we are generally no longer housewives, women (and men in this enlightened (!) age) still need to know all the modern day household tricks.

How to remove stains and waterproof clothing, I am going to try and remember the mildew one, I would feel nervous putting silk in the potato water though!


If you have ever been looking for a recipe that your grandma used, let me know as I am sure it will be in one of these books!  Especially the sweet treats. One last photo, I will leave you with this chutney and pickles page, I am going to be trying the red beet relish as soon as my beetroots are ready.


Banana and apple chutney - no, but red beet relish sounds great!
 
I'm so pleased to have these, they are a real peice of history to hold on to.

No comments: