Saturday 1 March 2014

Winter is coming!


Nope this isn't a post about Game of Thrones, but I've been thinking about what to do with the garden over winter.  It seems ridiculous to be planning for winter on a lovely warm summers day (update that was Thursday, 2 days later it's bucketing down with rain and cold, much more appropriate).  We’ve already stocked up with firewood while it was going cheap and I’ve been doing a bit of over-wintering research. It is the perfect time to start thinking about it as a lot of summer crops are finishing and it will soon be time to put in some of the slower autumn/winter seeds or seedlings.

Half the wood-pile, will be sad to leave summer but I can't wait for the first cosy fire!

As I see it there are three options for the veggie patch over winter:
  1. Throw your hands up in the air, let the weeds have at it and forget about it until Spring.
  2. Find some vegetables that will grow happily over winter to make the grey months a little greener.
  3. Work on improving your soil to give you a great start in the Spring.
This will be a 2 part blog because option one really needs no explaining, the weeds will figure it out all by themselves but options 2 and 3 are worth a bit more detail. I think all of the options are pretty good ones really, even option 1. Sometimes you just need a break and to come back in Spring with fresh enthusiasm! I mostly let my patch go as per option 1 last year with the exception of a small corner of broccoli and leeks but I want to see if I can expand on this and find some more vegetables to grow over winter. 

Frosty - last year's leeks, broccoli and lots and lots of weeds!
I am going to try and put the ramshackle greenhouse in to use this year too, this wasn’t an option last year due to lack of roof! There are still holes and missing panes of glass but it should protect plants from the worst of the elements! If you don’t have a greenhouse you could try fashioning little poly-tunnels fairly cheaply out of hoops and clear plastic.

So Option 2 – Finding some vegetables that will be ready to harvest in winter. As I live in Dunedin I’ve got to find some that will cope with frost too, those of you up North will probably be able to find an even wider range to grow. We’re close to the sea though so the frosts are generally not too fierce but I might have to consider some straw or something similar if it gets a bit freezing! For this to work I am choosing the part of the patch that is in sun all day and putting Option 3 to use in the slightly shadier area, the veggies will need all the light they can get. Raised beds and containers are also probably a better bet as well than a waterlogged prone in-ground patch. 

Beetroot - you can sow these up until the end of April with a break until July, harvesting through winter for a welcome bit of colour on your plate in the absence of tomatoes!

Brassicas - these do better in cooler months anyway with less bug attacks. I'm going to try Cabbages, Broccoli and Cauliflower.  These can be planted from now until end of April here in Dunners for harvest from June onwards, those of you up north could plant as late as May, lucky things. :)

Brussel Sprouts - I think my husband will run screaming if I plant these, but you could plant these in April and May for harvest in July onwards if you have Brussels tolerant people in your household!
Carrots - There are a few varieties that can be sown all year round, they'll grow slower over winter so I will have to make sure I sow a short row of carrots every 2 weeks to keep me supplied with a bit of colour and crunch!  Check packets for all year round varieties.

Garlic - obviously this won't be ready until summer but it will need to be planted mid-winter!

Greens - Spinach, Silverbeet and Kale.  I've lumped these all in to one category because they can all be used to put some green on your plates over winter. Winter varieties of Spinach can be sown/planted all through winter, Silverbeet and Kale can be sown/planted in autumn for winter harvest These could even be grown in containers in a sheltered but sunny spot.

Herbs - Parsley and coriander will grow in a greenhouse over winter I'm told.  I feel a bit sceptical but I'm willing to give it a try! There is always the option of a warm kitchen windowsill for some other herbs like basil and chives.

Leeks - Sow a few batches through autumn for winter harvests.  These are fabulous in winter warmer casseroles, pies and stews.  They'll substitute for onions in some dishes if you run out.

Lettuce – lettuce in winter!?!?! Lettuce was one thing I was surprised to miss so much by the end of last winter. There are some varieties though that will cope with the colder temperatures and shorter days so I am going to give it a go. I will grow some in the greenhouse too just in case.  I've got some Yate's Winter Triumph seeds, so when it gets too cold for the summer lettuces I'll give these a whirl.  Seeds can been sown from early autumn through to late winter, perfectYou could pop cloches or cut up plastic bottles over them in the coldest frosts.


Peas & broad beans - Normally a spring crop but they can do well in autumn too, they can be planted in the garden from April onwards, protect with straw in the coldest months. I'm keen to give this a go!

Radish - hardy varieties of these can be grown in a greenhouse or under a poly-tunnel apparently, haven't tried this but will give it a go!

So hopefully that will keep me going through June, July and August with veggies from the garden, until it is time to start planting some spring crops.  What have I left out, I'd love to hear what you are planning to plant for winter harvests?

This might have to be my gardening outfit if it gets very cold this year!

No comments: