Monday 4 November 2013

A weekend with Annabel Langbein

Well not really, but it felt like it :)   After entering my details on Annabel Langbein’s website I was lucky enough to be chosen to be a free range foodie panel member and receive a free advance copy of her new recipe book, a Free Range Life Summer Annual.

A free range life - summer annual


The ‘catch’ for receiving the free book is to cook a dinner for friends or family using the recipes and then share a photograph on social media.  That’s not a very big ask for me, I never need an excuse to cook and love having people round for dinner … and I am quite share-y on the social media front.  In my usual fashion, I went a wee bit overboard and pretty much spent a whole weekend cooking using recipes from the book!  Hence the feeling like I have spent the weekend with Annabel Langbein.

There is a whole baking section in the book that use the same base mix of ingredients,  Annabel’s ‘Magic Baking Mix’.  Friday was my turn on the roster for charity baking at work, so it was handy to have a new recipe to try, perfect timing.  I made a batch of the baking mix on Thursday night and decided to make Raspberry and White Chocolate Muffins.  I prepped all the other ingredients and decided to get up 10 minutes earlier and put them in the oven in the morning while I made sandwiches for lunch.  It only took 5 mins to mix it all together and it was great to turn up at work with muffins still slightly warm from the oven.  Yummy too.  Only trouble is, I’m really am not a morning person and on returning home on Friday night noticed some butter on the counter, whoops, it was meant to be in the muffins!! Oh well nobody noticed anything amiss and there was still lots of mmMMMMmmmms from people, they just got some unintentionally healthier muffins (already pretty good with banana and milk taking the place of lots of butter or oil used in similar recipes from other books).  I could only find frozen raspberries and these worked fine though the colour did run a bit, I will definitely try again with fresh raspberries when the season gets going!  I am a big fan of the raspberry and white choc combo.

Raspberry and White Chocolate muffins

Saturday was the main event, we had 6 lovely friends for dinner.  I chose to go with some BBQ and salad options, we were hoping for nice enough weather to eat outside to fully embrace the summery feeling of the book and food. It was a bit chilly and windy so we had a few drinks outside to keep the BBQ chef company and then set up inside to eat.  It was AMAZING!  Gorgeous flavours and it was great to have a choice of meats and salads to pass around the table.  The salads were mostly prepared ahead so I wasn’t flapping around the kitchen when people arrived, I could sit down and have a glass of wine.  Husband cooked the lamb and steaks out on the BBQ (and did a great job, delish) and the chicken went in the oven.  Easy peasy.  Just a bit of throwing together a few minutes before we sat down to eat.  This was the menu (I hope you have eaten dinner already!).
  • Lamb roast with a Morrocan Spice Rub (I used Silver Fern Farms packaged roast)
  • Chimichurri grilled steak
  • Chicken Tikka Kebabs
  • Spicy corn and rice
  • New potatoes with a parsley butter
  • Caesar Salad (with lettuce from the garden)

Spicy corn & rice, Chimichurri steak and new potatoes in parsley butter down this end of the table
 
The Chicken Tikka Kebabs will definitely be a regular menu choice

Dessert was prepared the night before and I managed to remember all the ingredients this time!  I was indecisive and made two options, a Strawberry Mousse or Chocolate Mousse, yuummmmm! Very easy recipes and the use of marshmallows in the chocolate mousse makes a sometimes tricky dessert ridiculously easy.  Each couple got one each of the mousses to share ... some shared better than others, heehehe :)

Mine ... all mine!!!


It was a great dinner, I loved how easy it was to prepare, especially because I didn’t have to be hot and bothered in the kitchen.  It was also effortless to put together a gluten free menu.  I actually chose all the recipes first and then remembered there would be a gf guest, looked at my list and only had to take out one ingredient and made sure I had a gf version of another ingredient.  However, the very best thing was that I had left overs the next day for lunch, hoorah!  There was baking mix left for breakfast pikelets too, HOORAH!!    The lamb, corn and rice salad and chocolate mousse were the most complimented dishes of the night, it all looked so colourful and pretty on the plates too.  I was very happy with how it turned out and I think my guests were very happy to be eating it!

I can see myself using this book heaps over the summer.  I love how compatible it is with all the things I have got growing in the garden, I can’t wait to try out some of the tomato glut recipes.  There are going to be lots of super fresh ingredients to go in these super fresh sounding recipes.  It has made me even more impatient for the first harvest.  It's a great stocking stuffer of a book too, only $19.95 in the shops!

And now I am on a Monday diet, but I am still thinking about that chocolate mousse, and how easy it was to make.  Oh dear! :)

No comments: