Thursday 24 October 2013

Faster than the speed of light!

I'm liking this new trend for rain during the week and sunshine at the weekend.  It is very much the opposite of what I am used to!  I've been taking full advantage and the garden looks amazing at the moment.

However, I am getting VERY impatient, I want to start eating things out of the garden again!! At the moment all that it is producing is lettuce and the herbs, which is great because I did miss these over winter, but still lettuce doesn't get you very far.

The garden is trying hard though, things seem to be growing as I look at them, not quite at the speed of light but seems close!  I put down some carrot and radish seeds exactly a week ago and the radish seedlings are already up and about.

Heart shaped radish seedlings - super fast!
I'm just about keeping up with the peas, potatoes and broad beans they are growing as fast than I can tie them/mound them up.  I've got a recipe below that I am waiting to try the broad beans out on, the flowers (surprisingly pretty) are fading so hopefully that means that some beans are on the way soon.

Pretty broad bean flowers

The tomato plants get bigger every day too, husband and I are walking around the garden spotting the differences as soon as we get home from work each day and tomatoes were showing the biggest gain by far.  The basil has been upgraded to bigger accomodations, hurry up pesto!!

The basil patch
My babies are growing so fast!


It's all go, I love this time of year!  Probably most exciting so far is that the strawberries are getting flowers and the upgraded and improved strawberry cage has been built!  Who knew that my city boy husband had such talents! The cage last year had to be tipped over to pick the fruit, this year it is bigger and has two lids and is sturdy enough to sit on for a bit of fruit picking! Very happy with that :) 

The improved strawberry cage
So proud, and ever so slightly squinty!

We need to figure out a way to protect the cherries on the cherry tree too, we didn't get a single ripe cherry last year thanks to the birds.  They are starting to form so we need to get that solution on soon!


Cherries forming - will we get to eat any this year?

Remember that plan from a few posts back?  Do you remember seeing corn on there!? Neither do I but due to an impulse purchase we now have some in the patch, that'll be amazing if we can get corn on the cob out of the garden!  Note to self: do not let husband on unaccompanied trips to Mitre 10 ... on second thoughts it was a pretty cool impulse buy even if it does throw out my plan!

I think that is a full garden update ... Oh I nearly forgot the garlic and onions that are looking very healthy! :)   

OK that's enough now! It's not too late to get started ... still lots of things to plant out!

No comments: